We submitted our prototype to UserTesting, a service that allows UX
researchers to test the interface, indicating the following task and
scenario. We had three user testers: Samueltom, Ibe, and Hksvij.
The minimalistic and one-directional design of this app makes
navigation user-friendly and therefore will allow the users to
complete the tasks with few distractions.
Successfully pickup and deliver food from a restaurant to a food bank
Navigate to the dashboard page and in your own words, describe what
you think you can do on this page.
View your profile page to see your achievements. Is there anything on
this page that you do not understand or know how to use?
You have been participating as a volunteer for 412 Food Rescue for the
past 6 months. You would like to increase your engagement with the
community by completing more deliveries each month. Today you have a
few hours free in the afternoon and want to make some food deliveries
from nearby restaurants to food banks. You will use the 412 Food
Rescue app to select a delivery you want to make, pick up the food
from the listed restaurant/store, and then deliver that food to the
listed food bank/homeless shelter.
On average, all three users commented that the navigation is
intuitive, as supported by a complete rate of 100%. However, Samueltom
made a planning error and assumed the Sign-In page was the Dashboard,
therefore she described the wrong screen when asked to describe the
functionality of the Dashboard. Her mental model of logging in was not
the same as that of the prototype (where she assumed she can log in
with the Google icon, so she did not click the usual Sign-in button),
which resulted in her error.
Nevertheless, our low time on task averages support that the users are
generally satisfied by the app’s simplicity, with Hksvij saying
“Nothing is confusing.” Moreover, Samueltom mentioned that seeing her
achievements at the end of delivery makes her feel an “adrenaline
rush,” and Ibe noted that her accomplishment metrics keeps her
Overall it seems like our hypothesis was correct because our users
were able to successfully use the app to make a delivery in about 2:45
minutes which is very little time. When viewing the recorded videos on
UserTesting, we can see that users spent the most time choosing
between different food delivery posts and they navigated through the
other pages fairly quickly. Therefore we can accept our hypothesis
because users were able to make a delivery without getting distracted.
Potential interface changes
Ibe suggested making the profile page more descriptive by adding the
color and model of the volunteer’s car, the approximate location for
which they can deliver food, and the volunteer’s cell phone number. We
can also add additional information on the confirm delivery and pickup
pages to increase accessibility for users with disabilities. For deaf
users, we can add a note informing restaurants that they should text
the volunteer instead of calling them. Another user also suggested
that we let volunteers schedule deliveries and pickups a few days in
advance so they can plan out their week ahead of time.
A challenge that we ran into during our UserTesting sessions was that
we didn’t expect the user computer’s lag time to influence their
interaction with the prototype. One user was confused when they
clicked on a button and the next page did not appear due to the lag
time of their computer. Another user tried to sign in using the
Facebook button but couldn’t because we did not think that was a
necessary screen to have for our prototype. In this case, we should
have told users that they should sign in as if they already had an
account instead of signing up as a new user. Overall, the users were
able to follow our instructions very well. When we asked users to
navigate to the profile page, they immediately clicked on the profile
icon and understood all the information on the page.
For this assignment, we were able to come up with a new design for an
app simply based off of a description about a startup. Without looking
at their existing website and app, we brainstormed how we thought the
app should be laid out, therefore implementing user flow for the three
types of users. Throughout the assignment, we made several changes
from our low-fidelity mockups to the high-fidelity mockups and then
further changes after the in-class critique. Over each iteration, we
felt that we were able to make the app more user friendly and
increased learnability and memorability. This certainly proved to be
the case, as our testers were able to complete the given tasks with
minimal confusion. If we were to build onto this project, we would add
functionality to more of the buttons that we had included, such as the
edit settings icon and the buttons on the sign in page.